Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Best Wedding Movies!

Jessica's quote from Steel Magnolias last week inspired me to devote an entire blog entry to some of our favorite wedding movies, and scenes from wedding movies, of all time. If you are a bride, or just a lover of chick flicks, these movies a must-haves for you DVD collection! They are some of my go-to favorites for a rainy day inside, or when we are looking for inspiration for our lovely ladies!
Father of the Bride
How can you not love this movie? I remember when it first came out my dad and Uncle Bud watched it on VHS in Myrtle Beach on a family vacation. I was pretty young at the time, but apparently they both were very choked up by watching Steve Martin give away his little girl. In my family, and in Jessica's, it's nothing but girls, so a movie like this certainly tugs at the heart strings. I get particularly emotional watching the scene where little Annie plays basketball with her dad...it brings back some fond memories of games of "around the world" with my dad!

For inspiration in this movie, I simply love Frank. I love everything he does, and I love the way he talks! Considering this was an early 90s movie (I think), Frank was ahead of his time with all the beautiful flowers and the geese around the front yard. What can you learn from this film? A wedding at your childhood home sounds like a great idea in theory, but it is a lot of work! Make sure to hire A Shindig to make this dream come true!


My Best Friend's Wedding
This movie makes me laugh everytime it is on TBS! My particular favorites are the bridemaids/cousins who are less-than-classy. What was with those dresses they wore? This was a full-scale wedding weekend complete with multiple dinners, luncheons, and who knows what else before the actual big day. You may not want to go as all-out as they did in the movie, but having several events for your guests is a great way to make the weekend memorable. We are happy to help arrange luncheons, shrimp-a-roos, brunches, or any other type of event to keep your guests entertained!


The Wedding Planner
I'm not going to lie, this movie was part of my inspiration for pursing this career path! I love how organized Jennifer Lopez's character is as a wedding planner! She thinks of every detail for her brides and knows exactly how to give them the day they have envisioned. Please note that if you are a client of ours and you put me on a horse like they did with JLo, it will end similarly - with a runaway horse and a disheveled planner on her rear-end! I'm not cut out for it, but I am happy to give it a shot for any client!


Wedding Crashers
This is probably the only movie on this list you didn't have to force your fiance to watch with you! Every guy on the planet instantly memorized quotes from this movie as if their lives depended on it! Aside from the all the humor and girl-catching, there were some beautiful decor ideas in this movie. The "house" where the family went following the wedding was actually The Inn at Perry Cabin in St. Michaels, Maryland. They do plenty of weddings on the property and I can see why! What a beautiful location for a traditional wedding!


Sex and the City
So maybe the Big wedding didn't happen in the movie as planned, but you gotta give it to Carrie, Charlotte and Anthony for planning a spectacular event! However, the lesson to be learned from Carrie's catastrophe is not to let the day overshadow what it is you are actually doing! I have said this time and time again to brides. It is so easy to get caught up in the dress, the venue, the music, etc. Remember that you are making a committment to a partner for life, and this is the most treasured part of that day. So if you want to do that in a vintage suit at the courthouse, by all means do it. Never be pressured by friends and family to have an event you are not truly interested in! This day is for you and your fiance, and nobody else! But if a swanky wedding in a library or any other venue is more your taste - you've come to right place. We can give Anthony Marintino a run for his money! :)


The Wedding Singer
What a great way to pay homage to the weddings of the 80s! I know that fashion has a tendency to repeat itself, but can we all agree to never wear poofy sleeved wedding dresses again - ever?! Adam Sandler cracks me up in this film! But one of the best moments is at the very end when he sings "I Wanna Grow Old With You" to Julia. What a sweet moment! That song truly captures what a marriage is all about...it's being with someone who will help you with the dishes, share the remote, and take care of you when you are sick or feeling down. Who knew Adam Sandler would teach us one of the most important lessons about life and love?
That's all for now! Have a great week everyone!
Cheers!
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment